Friday 16 January 2009

When in fear,put your best Choo forward!




I am a fashionista who prides herself on being one of the few people who does not scare easily especially after having dealt with some of fashions scariest editors- who have nothing on Devil Wears Prada’s Miranda Priestley. So last night I was invited to experience the “scariest attraction in England”- a two part attraction called the London Bridge Experience and The London Tombs, I thought oh this should be a walk in the park.

Arriving late, I had thought that like many fashion parties I have attended before where no one actually turns up on time that arriving a tad late will be fine, but instead I found out that I had missed the boat. When the invite had said a 6pm start, they had meant a 6pm start, and not a 6.35pm arrival. Apologising profusely to the PR girl, she was nice enough to smile and assure me not to worry. She then ushered me towards other shame faced late comers. As the four of us shuffled our feet and sipped our house red wine, we only ended up waiting just 10 minutes before we were approached and told to put our wine glasses down and grab our handbags. They had decided that even though there were only 4 of us they would take us around the venue anyway so we could sample what was offer.



As the tour began I found myself learning about London Bridge’s history. Every few minutes I kept expecting someone to jump out of the shadows and scare me- so I found myself getting more and more disappointed when it did not happen. Room, after room I found myself stifling giggles at the theatrics of it all instead of experiencing the fear I had expected. As the history lesson continued, I found my mind wandering to what I wanted to have for dinner that night. When we reached the end of the London Bridge Experience, I was stifling a yawn. Not because it was boring, but I guess I had expected to be scared right out of my Choo’s. Coming to the end of the tour with my heart beating at the same rate as when I sleep and with no sweat moustache on show i was slightly dissapointed.





Before the four of us headed towards the exit sign we where suddenly given the option to either continue down the exit or to take the other door which led down to the London Tombs. Deciding to take the bull by the horn I made the decision for our rather small group and said “take us down to the tombs”. We went down, where we were handed a hard helmet a luminous jacket and told some rules that I must admit I barely remember because by this point I was raring to go. Before entering the tombs we all had our picture taken- big cheesy smiles and thumbs up.

Entering the tombs, situated under the London Bridge Experience, I felt confident enough to lead the pack. I had no idea that the tombs we were going to see where the real tombs of the bridge because if I had known I might have been singing a different tune that would have found me cowering at the back of our little group rather than leading at the front.


The next 10-15 minutes in the tombs are a bit of blur, but I know one thing for sure, I felt like I was in a bad horror movie. I have never screamed so much in a very long time. It was most definitely an adrenalin pumping experience that at one point had the 4 of us whimpering in the corner refusing to go on. I never thought I would see the day I am cuddled up next a stranger and holding on to them for dear life.




Of the whole experience there was one point where I had an I-am-a-fashionista-get-me-out-of-here moment. It happened as I led the pack through the dark passages and for some reason I thought that I saw an exit door, and for that spilt second I felt relief, so I ran towards it and attempted to open the door only to realise that it was padlocked. Thats when I found myself screaming “nooooo” as I shook the door to no avail. It certainly was the moment that I realised that the London Tombs had broken me. Not in a bad way, oh no, in definitely a good way. They had succeeded in scaring me to the point of no return. I had gone from the confident; some might even argue cocky, fashionista who thought of the whole thing as childs play- oh how wrong was I. I had entered the venue thinking that no loud boo was going to scare me. Well I now bow my head down in submission and concur with Living TV’s Most Haunted, The London Tombs are most definitely the scariest attraction in England next to white stilletos.





LAST WORDS: Well I just have one tip to give the big heads at the London Bridge Experience and The London Tombs, for better affect I suggest that you take the visitors photos after they have gone through the London Tombs experience rather than before because I can assure you those are the photos that people will queue up to buy because that will be a photo that will speak a thousand words - “I was so scared I nearly wet myself”.

Champagnista M




Want to go? Then take note of the following:

Adult: £14.95
Child: £10.95
Students: £11.95
Family (2 adults, 2 children): £45

For more information please visit: http://www.thelondonbridgeexperience.com/
2-4 Tooley Street London, SE1 2SY 0800 043 4666

No comments: