Friday 20 February 2009

Canape of the week... Mango yoghurt poached egg ... treacle cake?

Where: The Langham Hotel
Drank: Joseph Perrier champagne
What: Spoons of treacle cake squares topped with mango and yogurt "poached eggs"

Bags or shoes? White wine or red? Sweet or Savoury? A girls little vices tend to always divide the camps like ying and yang. I'd always list myself as bags, white and savoury. No budging. Give me a Chanel 2.55 over a pair of Choos, a chilled glass of Chablis over the Cabernet and the cheeseplate over the chocolate cake. Dessert canapés? Don't touch the things (well a girl has to have some rules if she is going to keep her bum in her skinny jeans. Although, harem? Remarkably more forgiving on finger food indulgences). But as the trays of cubes of fois gras on sticks and fluffy mushroom pate on little rye discs were whisked temptingly past me, I was somehow drawn to the spoons. What was it? I was intrigued. And all in the name of investigative journalism, I was going to find out. It was love at first bite - as gooey mango 'egg' centres burst over the caramelly-cakey-creamy-yogurty goodness. I actually went 'Mmmmm.' Out loud. Mid-conversation. It was time to leave before I tried to marry the canapé waiter. Or a silver spoon.

Miss Conde Nasty

No comments: