Monday 13 October 2008

Since when was it acceptable for Style Icons to still be in nappies





Remember when style icons where the likes of Coco Chanel, Audrey Hepburn, Jackie Onassis, Carolyn Kennedy, Bianca Jagger and Blondie’s Debbie Harry, and now we have “celebrities” barely out of nappies being crowned ‘fashion icons’. They know who they are- Hannah Montana (ewwww), Nicole Ritchie (eat much!), Paris Hilton (since when was trash fashionable), and any reality/pop starlet who has graced the cover of Heat magazine.

Being a style icon is a privilege that should be earned and not an automatic right because you are a celebrity. Also to be a fashion style icon, one must at least have an eye for fashion, not the eye of their overpaid stylist- I am talking to the ‘Zoebots’ of the world.

How am I, a 20 something on the other side of my 20’s seriously look at that High school musical actress whose name evades me as a style icon that I should admire, I mean I started school the day she came screaming into the world. Okay I can begrudgingly admit that age is not a factor when it comes to style, you either have it or you don’t, but being a celebrity should not be an automatic carte blanche into the Style Icon world.

I mean to be a style icon that many fashion minions will follow and admire you must at least be able to demand attention through your clothes. Think Audrey Hepburn working that little black dress, Carolyn Kennedy oozing “I didn’t even try to look this good” look, Debbie Harry’s way of embracing fashion oddity and of cause Coco Chanel the mother of all fashion chic-ness.

So my advice is ignore the conveyor belt of “style icons” who seem to unfortunately change every month, and instead use your good judgement when it comes to figuring out who truly is the style icon of our generation and I am not talking Sienna Miller.
By Champagnista M

No comments: