Friday 24 October 2008

Making close Friends in Fashion is not impossible.



Friends are most certainly harder to come by the older you get. When you are young and fancy free they come in bucket loads, I must have had about 3 or 4 best friends when I was growing up- you know the kind of friends that you feel you will never part from.

Now in my late 20’s I have a very small circle of very close friends who I can count on one hand, a healthy size of good friends and large circle of just friends. I am naturally a very closed off person so it can be a bit of battle for one to get to the core of me, but I sometimes put that down to the industry I work in.

As you all know fashion was my calling and it has been for 8 years. I have managed to make a great career in one of the hardest industries to get in and stay in. It was fashion that taught me that some friends are not all that they seem especially in an industry where stepping on someone is the norm- something enforced in Ugly Betty, that in fashion friends are not made- have you seen the Devil Wears Prada? One could argue that “those are just movies” but let me tell you something the apple does not fall far from the fashion tree.

Saying that making friends in fashion can be done- I met the fabulous Champagnista V and our friendship continues to grow- so it is not all backstabbing and jealousy- case and point How to loose a Guy in 10 days- the characters worked in fashion whilst building tear jerking like friendships. So to conclude what is my point in this rant- well it’s Friday and rather quiet in the office, so I took a moment to ponder on the word friendships. I value and love my very close friends as they are the ones that remind me of my strengths, ignore my inconsistencies and I know that we have the kind of friendship where nonsense does not exist just understanding, laughter and hugs- you know who you are!

By a pondering Champagnista (M)

No comments: