Tuesday 7 October 2008

Paris in Wonderland









As the fashion world finally reached the last week of Fashion Week(s) I was all champagned up and terribly exhausted. Boarding the Eurostar to Paris with my fellow champagnista I soon found myself surrounded by puffs of expensive perfume worn by the fashion assistants on their way to the shows.


As their chatter of excitement continued as the train left the station I put on my oversized square black sunglasses, started my newly charged ipod and sipped my still hot café au lait whilst pondering why Paris continues to be the city one must always go too during fashion week.
It has been said by many big named fashion editors that if you are going to attend any fashion week, Paris should be the one. Why you might wonder. Well New York has been seen as being more glitz celebrity rather than new raw talent, London although well known for its edge continues to be luke warm even with the BFC continued efforts and as for Milan well everyone knows that it is all fur coats and sunglasses.



So Paris, is the place one should make a effort to go to and to be seen. So with this in mind I knew that I will be immersing myself into the scene and making an effort to show support for our home-grown designers whilst across the pond.

On arrival I waited the evening to make my first stop which was the soiree at Anne Fountaine. Anne Fountaine is a well known shirt designer who makes beautifully made pieces that I ohh and ahhh too loud enough for the PR girls to hear whilst sipping my champagne. The thing that struck me was that her fantastically crafted white shirts where so delicate that one would be afraid to wear them. I mean one of them was so fragile that it would not survive a day of wear and for nearly 200 euros it seemed to be the kind of shirt made to be admired by your dinner guests as you take them on a tour of your house.



After my fifth glass of champagne my fellow fashionista and I left in a cloud of air kisses and “yes darling I will see you at so and so’s party”. Because the next day was to be a busy one, off I went to bed early for the first time in weeks- 1am.



As I mentioned earlier I wanted to show support of British home-grown talent whilst in Paris and it was on this note that I found my self at the BFC show room. This was the first season that they have ever hired a space to showcase British designer’s wears and talents I n Paris. It was in the 2nd arrisomondent that I met the toast of British fashion- Henry Holland. He was such a friendly chap that the nervousness of meeting the guy who has been in every glossy and weekly I read for the past 6 months melted away. I went into journalist mode as I quizzed him on his collection.



A mixture of menswear and womenswear his collection was all about the fusion of the 1980’s Miami vice married with Beverly hills 90210. Henry embraced three colour groups- sweet pea, roses and spots. When I asked him why these bold selections he responded cheekily, “why not”, the grin won me over. As I looked through his wears made of jersey, cotton, organza, and stretch materials like lycra I was impressed to discover that his collection also boasted accessories that he collaborated with Katie Hillier and sunglasses that he created with Linda farrow. Wearing a Louise t-shirt covered in trinkets, complimented with a tea green jacket, and adorning black and white shoes, the man certainly was the style that he preached. Who knows maybe I might become a House of Holland fan and throw away my more preppy Ralph Lauren style- with that thought I moved on to Todd Lynn.

My first thought when meeting the fiery designer was, now here was a designer who lived and breathed his brand. Showing his 5th collection he was all about embracing the futuristic 30’s and 40’s which he said was inspired from the movie “the day of the locusts”- (I drew a blank- what movie is that?). Smiling and acting like I knew where he was coming from I continued to quiz him on his collection which concentrated al lot on small detailing like the stitches and the logo’s used in the designs. Some where subtle like small chain details others were brazen like feathers, but one thing was evident Todd Lynn’s mark was all over his collection. Fusing materials of cotton and chiffon, some pieces looked rather delicate but like him they were far from being so.


Other designers to show at the BFC showroom (about 15 all in all) in Paris included Christopher Broich and Emilio. As I left a couple of hours later I thought “bravo” to the BFC for showing their support in this way. I know that many British designers breathed a sigh of relief when this new plan came into work- no more expensive hotel fees so they can show their collection in a nice hotel, instead there was solidarity and security as buyers and press came, saw and the designers conquered- with definite Paris in Wonderland moments.


Gros bisous from a tired and exhausted Champagnista M- until next season!

No comments: