Tuesday 14 October 2008

Me own a Grey Suit?- when fashion hell freezes over!

Cute- but still no on the suits- Jean-Paul Gautier, Fall 2008
Whenever I am on the circle line on my into work , I am always stealing looks from behind my venti starbucks latte at the women in grey, black and navy blue. With their hair scrapped back, wearing a boxy outfit a la Annie Lennox, and sensible court shoes I find myself feeling sorry for them and thinking that I could not be dressed in such a monochrome outfit for all the money in the world.

I am lucky that I work in a job that allows me to wear impossibly high heels (loving my gladiator sky scraper heels), quirky out there hair accessories (like the big bows- yummy) and my beloved mini dresses that would make bosses in all those corporate companies blush because they probably think it is an outfit that should be restricted only to nightclubs, I mean come on “middle manager” I wear my mini with opaque tights making it an acceptable day time ensemble- dah!

Any who to continue, I am aware that the women citybots also find me quite the anomaly and also give me the once over. I am fully aware that I do not fit in with the rest of the city bound travellers, as I am always wearing notice me dresses ( I have sworn off jeans- 6 months and going strong) or impossible to wear heels whilst always reading the latest issue of Vogue, among a sea of Financial Times.

So it is on this note that I am happy to shout out loud and proud that I do not have to wear a suit to work everyday with some white shirt and 2 inch shoes-yay. The fashion industry affords me the luxury to wear what tickles my fancy and personality everyday. Imagine the fact that if my parents had had their way I would have been a lawyer at some city firm, forced to wear some grey pant suit, with ugly hair and even uglier shoes standing among a sea of look-alikes in greys, blacks and navy blues staring enviable at the girl who is wearing Choos, Chanel and reading the latest Vogue- ewwww what a thought- please pinch me and tell me it is never going to be so.
Champagnista M

No comments: