Monday 15 September 2008

On Pencil skirts

Vivienne Westwood Anglomania

RM by Roland Mouret

L'Wren Scott


As I was saying in my ‘Clothes Allowance’ post, yesterday I got a beautiful pencil skirt which fits like a glove. It clings and moulds exactly like it should, and I love it!… Pencil skirts are one of my fashion sins: they give a polished, elegant, womanly appearance that lengthens the silhouette glamorously. I tend to go for high-waisted tight skirts that just cover the knee, and wish I had a velvety jacket cinched at the waist with puffy Victorian sleeves and a cigarette holder to perfect the look. The problem is, when I say it fits like a glove, I mean it: once I slide in it and close the zip, there is no room for anything else, and since there is no vent at the back, I can take 5 centimeters steps at a time. You can imagine the challenge when it comes to walking up the stairs, or running to my boss’ office when I’m called in urgently. Nevertheless, it does make a high and perky bum, so I am still happy with it.

When it comes to buying a pencil skirt, here are a few recommendations: unlike when you try shoes on, it’s something you don’t think of when you’re in the fitting room looking backwards in the mirror to see how it embraces your curves, but DO try walking in it. Match it with a tight top in similar colours, otherwise you’ll break the silhouette, which would be a shame, and if it has a lining, make sure it is amazingly tailored, otherwise you’ll end up with disgraceful pleats on the butt after a few steps.

See above for a selection of the most interesting Fall 2008 interpretations on the matter.

By Champagnista V
Images from Net-a-Porter.com

No comments: