Friday 5 September 2008

I never thought I would see the day ...



I never thought I would see the day when I am drawn to Marks & Spencer's womenswear section.

This is because M&S to me is all about inexpensive sandwiches, yummy desserts and great crockery. For me it is my Martha Stewart- the go to store (besides waitrose) for all my food needs, and it most certainly has never struck me as a shopping oasis for anyone under 35 years. To say fashionable and M&S in the same sentence was something that I thought impossible. I mean my mother buys her high waisted trousers, button up shirt and twin sets from Marks & Spencer, and those are items of clothing that even Kate Moss cannot pull off- ok maybe the twin set!

Any who, my awe of M&S fashions came about when a work colleague of mine came swarming into the office with an amazing dress that screamed catwalk. After wiping the drool off my mouth- I had moment of dress envy- I asked her where she got her fabulous outfit that seemed to taunt me with its swirls and dancing about on its on accord when she walked. With a knowing smirk that screamed I know something you don’t know she responsed, "this gorgeus dress was from my Local Marks and Spencer". Her reply stopped me cold as I stuttered "what" with that she smiled and walked away with her dress doing a dance as she strutted leaving me flabbergasted as she knew her reply would.

So later on that evening I found myself looking online at their collection. I found a glorious mixture of Bohemian, trend, and classic. The collection was certainly made to catch the eye of any female shopper of any age. Looking at the clothes as modelled by various celebrities I knew that any men dragged along for the shopping adventure by girlfriends, wives, mothers or gay friends then i am sure that with Mylene Klass, Erin O'Connor and Twiggy to look at will sooth their boredom.

The range is amazing for a brand that I had totally written off as a store for the school run mum rather then runaway followers. It is on this note that I congratulate Marks and Spencer for a collection that is less per una and more trendsetting. So will I ever own a piece from their fabulous range, well to be honest probably not, and it is not because i am label whore, far from it, it is just that their clothes will always remind me of my beloved mother's love affair with her high waisted trousers which continues to hold strong to this day but I can confirm that in me Marks and Spencer will always have a lifelong fan of their food hall-I mean that rocket salad is just yummy!

Images courtesy of Marks and Spencer. For more information please visit marksandspencer.com
By Champagnista M

No comments: