Wednesday 24 September 2008

Lucky Voice opened in Islington



They are playing 'Walk the Line' tonight on TV and I love that movie: whenever I'm on my own I sing along to it with all my heart and picture myself with Kansas riding boots and a cowboy hat. All because I am on my own though: I have such a voice, I actually dread singing in the shower, I am too afraid the ceiling would crack and fall over, or a flatmate might overhear me (especially the cutie with the blue eyes... if you've seen the pictures of our Champagnista night... bad bad delightfully bad boy!)

So it will come to reason that when my good friend Miss Conde Nasty invited me to the opening of Lucky Voice in Islington, I should jump on the occasion: I love a karaoke, I dread a karaoke, I hate a karaoke, I love a karaoke! It's always a wonderful time to dress up and play the character you want to sing: this might be the moment when I tell you that I fell in love with fashion when I was a (very young considering I am not that old) struggling actress (/struggling model, /quite successul waitress, /time to drop back in university because I missed it!...) and used to dress the part I wanted to play on the night: fashion offers you such a multitude of opportunities to create the character you want to play on the occasion you want to play it, it is the most wonderful role game.

So tonight, I dressed as a rock chick with slim dark jeans and a pair of lace-up ankle boot platform shoes with a big buckle on the instep, and I prepared myself psychologically to sing Amy Winehouse's 'Rehab'. Miss Conde Nasty and I met up at Highbury & Islington tube station, and I cannot begin to tell you how happy I was to learn that all her other friends had bailed out: thank GOD, nobody was going to witness the fiasco!

Lucky Voice is on Upper Street, opposite the Town Hall, and I must say they did a pretty good job with the decoration: the wooden bar is sleek and square, and the dark leather sofas spouse the same kind of efficient shapes, urging you to do something dynamic under the concert-ambient lighting, meaning, moving to one of their private boots and singing the tunes you've kept mumbling to yourself for the past few weeks... In my case for the past few months since my 5-year-relationship breakup (no no I am not that old) so namely Marley's 'every l'lle thing 's' gonna be all right' (title please?!), U2's 'Bloody Bloody Sunday' and the Rolling Stones' 'Painted Black'...

After the few obligatory drinks (which were obviously not enough), we went in one of the private rooms that was provided with all the accessories we could wish for: colourful wigs, fake fluff guitars, and even an unlikely tambourine... and vodka. And REVELATION: Miss Conde Nasty has such a beautiful voice, she now has to switch careers! I am not joking, I had no idea, but she has the strongest and most original voice I had heard in a while! So if you have heard her from outside and are a music promoter, do contact me and I'll put you in touch.

Yes, because whatever the staff tell you when you get in the boot, you can hear everything from outside, and it is a lot of fun.

It was quite a good training, because on 14 October, my boss is taking the whole team on a bonding day, beginning with kart and ending at the Oxford Circus Lucky Voice. Now I know I shouldn't try to sing Candy Man... or Valerie... or a lot of other songs... I would stick to French songs because I could pull out the husky voice and pretend, but dammit they don't have any!

Lucky Voice is on 173-174 Upper High street, 2 minutes away from Highbury & Islington Tube station, and it has 7 private boots which can welcome about 8 people+ to spend an evening at large. http://www.luckyvoice.com/venues/islington

Ps: By the way, I did bail out of Fash Off and the BFC Candy Man... I was in bed by 9pm, shame on me, and then I got my first ever booty text around 11:30pm, saying 'I had forgotten my phone in my hotel room, I am back, where are you?'... More 'drinking with the mates and didn't want to call before', but I kind of deserved it.

Pps: I totally agree with Champagnista M's last post, a T-bar should always be seen on your foot or remain hidden, unwarned slutty underwear is always so much more efficient!
By Champagnista V

No comments: