Tuesday 9 September 2008

In search of the perfect cocktail dress


Herve Leger by Max Azria SS09


The Champagnista night is arriving fast now, and with it comes the question of the outfit, or what to wear for the perfect official beginning in the London Fashion world... I feel like an ingenue at a bal des debutantes, excited and enthusiastic and (oh my god you wouldn't believe) stressed all at the same time.

This is not any night, it is our first Champagnista night and it calls for a drop-dead gorgeous cocktail dress and Chrysler building high statement heels... If you work in the press office at Chopard, I wouldn't mind borrowing a diamond choker to complete the outfit... Just kidding... Diamonds are so tacky on me!

Ahem... A few rules about the quest for the right cocktail dress: first avoid the 'must-have lace number from Zara' with its cheap Prada look because it's already been featured in every single fashion magazine and you will inevitably find 5 other women dressed just like you when you enter the premises. Second, work out the social meaning of the party: what kind of occasion is it? what kind of guests? can you afford to show up with something that has been worn before? (I know I could, but I decided to ignore reason and my bank statements this time). Third, don't pick bright or flowery fabrics, fuschia daisies are for Ascott, along with enormous straw hats and pink-dotted-with-white oversize girly bows. And at any costs, avoid trends!!!

Cocktail parties are the quintessence of the chic event: what you're looking for is a stylish, well-tailored piece that does not cry out loud and sputter 'trend' everywhere. You want a sober but rich colour (I love this season's dark blue in silky fabrics), or a black dress that plays with textures and layers (think Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman). Maybe not toooo short, but the great thing is that if you have an amazing figure, it is the perfect occasion to wear a sex-on-heels body-conscious dress alla Herve Leger, because you will be able to flirt all you like above the bubbles of your champagne glass... After all, it is a beautifully grown-up event, no kids or dogs around to stick their heads under your skirt. If you refuse to eat two chickpeas for lunch and have not as airy a figure as Paris Hilton, go for a knee-high length, but keep it upbeat by choosing a shape that accentuates your femininity (empire line to hide a little tummy, decollete to show your bust, small sleeves to conceal arms puppy fat, large straps to take the eyes off more sporty shoulders... From there all combinations are possible, and the key is to feel like it is the right choice before you buy it.

But of course you little fashionistas know better than to buy something that you don't 'simply have to have' (don't mistake for shopaholics)...

For me, I was really naughty on saturday on my way to work... In my defence, it is really depressing to go to the office on a saturday, even if it rains and there is nothing better to do (well you know, no man in my life at the moment, no duvet games). When I stopped at Green Park I took Old Bond street, which is usually closed when I arrive at work, and closed when I leave, glanced at my watch and decided that since the office was not closing till later I might as well award myself a little shopping break before office-time. Then I ended up going at MaxMara, then finding myself convinced by a (very talented because usually I hate the customer approach... I know what I want) salesgirl to try a couple of dresses on, and completely fell off-a-cliff-head-over-heels in love with a wraparound dress in the shiniest silk that fit like a glove. That's usually when I take to my heels and flee temptation, but this time the dress was so amazing, I decided to cast a reluctant look at the label, and I was actually suprised to find that the price was not AS expensive as I expected. Not feeling the usual heartpang of a broken style-dream, I decided to take it, and have been so happy since, I've been felling goooood (even if still slightly stressed). So what if I live on bread and water for the rest of the month? I swear it will be my lucky charm on Thursday. There is something magic and really emotional about beautiful beautiful clothes: it's like art, wearing them can be a completely transformative experience.

Image from Style.com
By Champagnista V

No comments: