Friday 12 September 2008

Betsey Johnson Spring 09

Gone with the Wind Meets Pirates of the Carribean in Betsey Johnson's Spring 2009 collection






Betsey Johnson is back, frilly and fantasmagoric! There is still a touch of the 60's rock chick of last season, and more than a hint of her trademark sweet blooming shapes, but Spring 09 plunges further in a children's playful universe, expressed in Betsey's catwalk models by their 'effronte' pout and their innocent hands-in-the-back demeanour. Very much young Scarlett O'Hara pretending to be all grown-up.

It's a ready-to-wear collection that will probably have to be adapted to real ready-to-wear, but still, the flowery patterns, the corseted bodices and the gathers and gathers and gathers were to dream for. As Big D, my former editor-in-chief in the Bridal magazine I used to work for, would say (the conversations used to go round and round about her wedding day), there are dresses in her collection that would make you want to go 'shoosh and shoosh' with.

I've always thought if I ever ever wanted to get married, if I had to spend £750 + on a dress, it would be Valentino, metallic red, knee-high, very very much perfectly fitted and elegant and graceful. Then Betsey Johnson arrived, and her final dresses made me think, all avert that I am to the sensation of a ring on my finger, 'well, get me that dress and we'll see'.
Once I get the dress, I can always run away from the altar...

Images by Style.com
By Champagnista V

No comments: