Thursday 18 December 2008

Supermarket snobbery


VS

For the past week the paper (well the free London Paper that I grab when I am heading home) has been reporting about people deciding to go downmarket when it came to their food shopping- you must have heard about the swapping Waitrose for Lidl.

Well all I can say on that is “I don’t think so!” No matter how much change I have left in my purse you will not under any circumstances find me bargain food shopping in Lidl. I mean come on people, is the credit crunch really that bad? Am I deluding myself by continuing to shop in the well lit, rather pricey Waitrose, rather then popping into my local Morrison’s with the rest of the money saving shoppers? Well am i? Because I truly believe that I am not wrong to continue down my supermarket snobbery and I will explain why.

A while ago my friend and I went shopping at our local supermarket in Holloway. There is a Morrison and a Waitrose down there. As we gossiped en route, I found myself quickening my pace as I walked past Morrison before realising my friend was calling me back as she stood in the entrance. Walking back towards her I said “what are you doing?”, and she said “I thought we going food shopping”, and I just stared at the rather unattractive entrance, and suddenly feeling like a toddler I felt a tantrum coming. Building myself to scream “I don’t think so honey”, I noticed she already had her basket in hand and was looking through the fruit and vegetables. Dragging my feet I followed her around like a sullen teenager as I took in the bad lighting, the screaming snotty kids, the sweaty workers, the uncovered bread, the scuffs in the floor, the screeching of mothers to their children and even worse the reduced table crowded around by the most vicious of bargain shoppers the OAP’s.

Feeling way out of my comfort zone I kept repeating the question “are we done yet?”, to which she would tut as she tried to decide whether to take advantage of the buy 1 get 1 free offer, or to grab a free taster from the bakery first. Finally we headed to wards the checkout, where to my annoyance we had to stand behind 10 other shoppers waiting to pay for their trolley loaded with monster munch, 19p fizzy drinks, and ready made meals. I kept thinking when will this nightmare end, as I watched the woman standing in front of us in her stretch leggings, baggy t-shirt with the words “I love England”, hair scrapped back and held with a scrunchy plus her 5 screeching kids- OMG if that is me in 10 years time I will surely slice my wrists.

Any who, 25 minutes later we made it to the front of the queue, my friend paid and we walked away having saved £2.16 on her shopping- whoopee I thought! As we walked, the fresh air hit me and I smiled for the first time in an hour. Then we crossed the road over to Waitrose, well actually I literally skipped over leaving my friend behind as she straggled under her Morrison shopping bags.

As I entered Waitrose, the bright lights and cheery music made feel like I have arrived home- yippee. As I was handed a basket by a Waitrose worker I took in the clean atmosphere, the fresh looking fruits and vegetables, and great food on offer. As I shopped in complete euphoria, my friend followed me with a sullen look on her face and making comments like “89p for a bottle of water, are you crazy?”, “what do you mean that bread cost £1.20, I will bake you a loaf for Godsake”, and “who in their right mind would pay £4.50 for a chicken that has been sitting there all day, I got mine for £2.45 at Morrison”.

As we headed home 30 minutes later, me with my Waitrose shopping and her with her Morrison bags, I knew then that I certainly suffer from supermarket snobbery. For me shopping is an experience that should be enjoyed, you are buying something that you are putting into your body so why not spend a little extra money on a loaf of bread. I mean come on the credit crunch has made me give up my crème de la mer, my Coco Chanel, halve my clothes budget and made me get the bus instead of the tube, but I will be damned if I was to start going down market when it comes to my food, I mean is that asking too much Mr Credit Crunch?
Champagnista M

No comments: