Tuesday 2 December 2008



Following a stern word in my ear from Champagnista V, I must add that I know, I know that I was supposed to report about the British Fashion Awards party the day after the party not a week later, but you must forgive me because it has taken me nearly a week to recover, and only now am I able to recall the evening...

It was one that boasted Giles Deacon at the DJ booth spinning music reminiscent of a 1980’s disco, the British Fashion Awards after party was the place to be for any self respecting fashionista. So I made sure I attended and I took my good friend; model Lara Murphy (the face of Johnny Loves Rosie’s AW08 campaign) with me.

It all started as we exited my friends rather swanky 4X4 and headed towards the door where a queue to enter the venue had already started to form. Looking at the line I confidently walked past the people and headed to the front door, waved at the guy with the clipboard who then swiftly opened up the red velvet rope to allow me and my friend to enter- I expected nothing less!

As we walked down the stairs to the cloak room I bumped into Hannah Marshall, a designer whose career I have been closely following. After exchanging air kisses and small talk, my friend and I continued towards the cloak room where we handed over our heavy winter attire. As I waited for my ticket, the model like coat check girl asked for my finger, looking at her confused I repeated “finger”, she replied “yes madam”. Handing her my well manicured finger she pressed it on some pad and said “thank you”. Shrugging my shoulder I said, “my ticket?” to which she said “there will be no ticket madam, the finger print you gave us will be your ticket and when you return to pick up your coat just hand us your finger”. I though what a fool proof idea, all my drunk friends who constantly loose their ticket will no longer have to stress about where they put that “damn ticket”. Smiling at her in return I grabbed my friend’s hand and headed into the party.



After being handed a glass of champagne, I took in the room. I spotted Luella Bartley walking back forth looking for someone who she seemed unable to find, Matthew Williamson strolling about the party making sure everyone spotted him, Nathaniel Gam the “it boy” socialite from the BFC, Erin O’ Connor looking Amazonian, Henry Holland and Agnes Deyn creating a “too cool for school” vibe around them and the as I turned to try and catch the waiters attention so I can get a refill I bump, literally, into Sophie Ellis Bextor and her beau. Starting to apologise and I also counted my lucky stars that I had really emptied that glass of champagne until there was no drop was left to then accidently spill on the Rimmel girl. Refusing any fuss we started talking.



I met Sophie previously 2 seasons ago at the Vogue Italia party where she looked amazingly stunning and was such a nice person that I wanted to poke her to make sure she was real. Meeting her again my opinion of her did not change. She refused my apologies gracefully and asked who I was. As we conversed I thought “this Rimmel Girl rocks, move over Kate your days are numbered”. Then all of sudden I asked “Can I take a picture of you”, to which she responded “that is no fun, unless we both take a photo together”. Smiling at her answer I literally threw the camera at my friend, and demanded that she snap the photo, and then demanding her to snap a second one in case the first wasn’t to my liking. Then after my pap moment I grabbed yet another glass of bubbly and the party for me truly began… I am sure that at some point in the early hours of the morning when the party started to turn into fashionable heaving mess of people I yelled at the Giles in the DJ booth, “hey you, put on a bit of 80’s Madonna I feel like a jive!”, and believe me when I say I am still trying get over that faux pas!


Champagnista M

Psst/ For those interested the winners were:



Designer of the Year: Luella
Designer Brand: Jimmy Choo
BFC Award for outstanding achievement in Fashion Design: Stephen Jones
Isabella Blow Award for Fashion Creator: Tim Walker
Swarovski Emerging Talent Award – Accessories: Nicholas Kirkwood
Swarovski Emerging Talent Award – Ready to Wear: Louise Goldin
Menswear Designer: Christopher Bailey for Burberry
Accessory Designer: Rupert Sanderson
Red Carpet Designer: Matthew Williamson
Model: Jourdan Dunn
Bespoke Award: Richard James

No comments: