Sunday 17 May 2009

This fashionista's man of the moment is no banker...



On my last night in the city that never sleeps I found myself on a date with, lets call him “Josh”. I had decided to let him take me out to dinner as I was super curious about him. Since arriving in NY he had left me hanging for nearly 3 weeks .


So when he called out of the blue to arrange a dinner date I was suspicious- I mean why now mister. Putting my reservations aside I met “Josh” on a rather balmy and beautiful evening at a restaurant called Le Monde on the upper west side. When I saw him, he literally had me at hello. Not to be corny or anything but I could not believe that this hunk that stood in front of me was the guy I had been talking to on match.com. Yes that’s right this Champagnista tried the online dating thing, and instead of the man with the glass eye and dodgy lisp I met a very cute and ridiculously goodlooking Josh.


The next thing I noticed about my beautiful date was his impeccable manners. He made sure I was seated first before he sat down, he allowed me to choose the wine (although it is usually frowned upon for a woman to choose the wine) and he let me stare at him for at least a full minute without making me feel that I was some weirdo- which I was soooooo being!
As soon as we ordered our food and our wine was poured I took another good look at my date, and thought why do they not make them like him in London. I feel starved for male attention and good dates in London. I mean I had only been in NY for a few weeks, and I already dated here more than I ever do in a year in London. Why is that? I mean come on British men grow some balls already and ask a pretty lady out- and I do not necessarily mean moi.


To continue, as I sat there with “Josh” my nerves had me waffling on an on about nothing in particular. After 15 minutes of chat I felt it appropriate to ask him what he did for a living. In response he just smiled and said “I am a fireman”. My first thoughts where “what?” and then followed quickly by “yummy”. I have always had a fantasy about men in uniform and NY firemen where right up there on the top of my list. I even have the NYFD t-shirt that I sleep in.
It was with those words that he uttered that my fantasy was realised. I heard myself say “garcon more wine” to the amusement of my rather dishy waiter. As the conversation continued I kept pinching myself to make sure I was there, on a date with a dreamboat whose company I glowed under, and as the night progressed I noticed that other female diners had noticed my rather dishy dates manly arms. It was then I began regretting not having pursued with vigour from the beginning. Yes he dragged his feet about meeting but I should have persisted, even if it had meant that I would have to have shown him my Glen Close side.

As the date ended my fireman walked me to the station to ensure I got on the tube safely and before he left I gave him a tight hug just so I can get a quick preview of what could have been. Talk about cheap thrills, well my excuse is that for a girl whose starved of such yummy men it could have been worse- I could have just held onto him for an unnecessarily longer period of time than is appropriate but I do have some dignity even when it comes to beautiful men, well barely!

Warmest regards from Champagnista M a champion of yummy firemen.

No comments: