Sunday 23 November 2008

Vintage Academy





I have just learned a new word. It is the fourth this week, after 'weevil' (which I turned into ‘weavel’ for sentimental purposes, my weavel is going to be my little flame-haired inspiring fairy in harsh times from now on) , 'hose' (this one was applied to a fireman stripper during the conversation so I got a little confused), and 'knackered' (which I looked up but for some reason it is not in the Oxford dictionary). I like words, I revel in words, I just love mix and matching them to craft a purposeful, meaningful, beautiful speech. I never quite manage it though, but the game of tending to it is quite rewarding in itself.

Anyway, today's word is 'academe' and I came upon it looking for fashion news on the internet. If you look at Wikipedia, which I am a total sucker for (I confess I have quite a library rat side, shame on me), you learn that ‘Academia or Academe or the Academy is a collective term for the scientific and cultural community engaged in higher education and research'. I knew Academy of course, and I am still wondering if there is not a twist to ‘Academe’ with an E. Especially since I have heard that anyone could actually write articles on wikipedia, so that their content must not be accurate all the time (tricky knowledge).

Vintage Academe is launching tomorrow, Monday 24th November: it is a new shopping online website dedicated with all its soul to vintage fashion, and if you follow its editorial page it will soon educate you into a competent vintage fashion shopper.

Three women got together to start this project: Whistles founder and former Liberty creative director Lucille Lewin, fashion journalist Belinda Morris , and Clare Nicholls, vintage fashion lover and financial director for the company. The trio came up with the brilliant and unthought of idea to bring poetry to online fashion retail. The website proposes a selective choice of unspeakably stylish fashion pieces from the 20th century (like the white tailored Courreges coat above), jewelry, hats and different accessories as well as luxury after-care products and tips to keep the articles you buy online in good state. You can also purchase vintage issues of fashion titles like Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar from the earliest times of these magazines, and go on the Academe editorial page to learn more about vintage fashion and throughout the world vintage fashion events -r 'academes', as they are called if it is one of their own events).

The items on sale are not that cheap, but every single one of them is unique and out of time: one of these garments that are so beautifully made it will live across trends and time to bring elegance today from surprisingly far away times, reminding you that style has no age. It just has colours, shapes and is brimming with life.

http://www.vintageacademe.com/

Champagnista V

No comments: