Monday 10 November 2008

Look of the week - Obama's family

I know, I am a little late on this one: it is not breaking news anymore, but I was very busy last week, and I had to say something because Obama's election is truly history in the making.
I did try to get Mr Boss to allow us to come in late the next morning, but unfortunately it didn't happen, so at 1 am, I had to make it to bed, however addictive the TV program might be. Then turning the TV on was the first thing I did in the morning, and I literally could not get myself out of the house before hearing Obama's victory speech through and through. He is the most incredible orator, isn't he: so eloquent, so genuine, so amazingly brilliant at crafting words and rhythm and spreading faith around... Martin Luther King meets Kennedy in his endlessly inspirational speeches! It was the first time in a while I did not actually cringe at hearing an American president say 'God bless America'.
I don't know if you have noticed but the first page of all UK newspapers read a variation on the same title: 'First black president'. First black president... I pondered... But he is not, really. What about Mandela or Senghor? I find it slightly disturbing that papers were so elliptical. He is not the first black president, he is the first American black president. And it is an incredibly avant-garde step for a country where people are still alive who actually knew slavery, but I believe relating to Obama as the first black president discards all African countries as non-presidencies... It sends all of Africa back to the rank of uncivilized third world nations, and if I was a black president, I would be slightly pissed off about it to be honest.
Anyway, coming back to deeper subjects, while every newspaper rejoiced in Obama's election, every fashion blog tore apart Michelle Obama's victory dress mercilessly. Well I don't agree, I think the Narcisso Rodriguez dress she wore was audacious and strong, and that it is about time a first lady didn't have curly sleek permed hair and a flat boring manucured-to-the-point-of-sickness look. Of course Michelle Obama's dress was not quite as airy and glamorous than the original below, but she wore it well and made it just this much classier.
The Obama family all in black and red was gorgeous and passionate, and they are just such a pretty little picture, I couldn't help putting them on.


Champagnista V

No comments: