Monday 2 June 2008

Death of an era


Yves Saint Laurent is dead and I think my heart just broke. He was one of these figures I believed immortal, like Mere Theresa and Ghandi... The best always disappear so early.

The New York Times this morning wrote of him: 'Coco Chanel gave women fredom, Yves Saint Laurent gave them power'. He did reinvent women: whenever I see him in interviews or in pictures, so frail, so tiny, so gay with an effeminate right hand in the air, I can't help being suprised at the strength and at the purity of lines he gave birth to. His creations were so architectured, so vibrant, so incredibly elegant, he had to love women more than the most manly man does.

It is a great loss to the artistic world and I can only mourn in silence this exquisite man whose clothes were too beautiful for words.

No comments: