Monday 21 July 2008

Too Cool For School at Dazed & Confused








On Friday night I found myself, with fellow Fashionista Camille Roman in tow, at the Dazed & Confused party.

Serving cold Japanese beer out of dustbins full of ice, with a DJ who looked like he was a throwback from the 80’s my colleague and I looked like strangers lost in a Punk era that automatically disliked and rejected my GAP cardigan and Zara Dress.

Those in attendance where the usual kooky crowd with the "Too Cool for School" aura around them. With a fashion dress sense that would not look out of place among the Brit Punk era of the late 70's early 80' OR the alternative Japanese fashion existing today, I was both wowed and excited to talk to individuals who embraced fashion without fear of ridicule. It was whilst talking to my new found friends that I realised that people did not just turn up to show off their rags but that they had also come to celebrate Philip Smiley’s work.

Philip Smiley is an illustrator whose clients have included Comme Des Garcons, Burberry and Stella McCartney. It is through the creation of his work that Philip is able to elaborate images and detail.

Born in Hawaii in 1976, Philip is a MA Fine Arts graduate from the School of Visual Arts in New and currently lives in London.

No comments: