Sunday 31 August 2008

I want a Tartan dress!

D&G

Just Cavalli

House of Holland

Carolina Herrera

I never thought I would say that but I do, I do... I want a Tartan dress!

If you were one of these kids whose mother sent to school wearing a tartan kilt and a velvet headband (or a bermuda and deck shoes if you were a boy), you will know where I come from. It's the kind of traumatic experience that leaves scars: it took my whole years of teenagehood (and all the money I made baby-sitting from the age of 13) to reconstruct my fashion sense and my wardrobe... At that time, I swore I would never wear a kilt again, and would avoid check in general at all costs.

And here I am, perusing the September fashion magazines and window-shopping in London, and I confess: I love this new Tartan trend, I love the superposition of tonal checks in different sizes at Just Cavalli, the floaty transparencies at D&G, the chic hunting-style tailoring at Carolina Herrera, I love the way designers reinvented the pattern, combining textures and volumes and playing with waistlines and transparencies to make it the new sexy... and I want my share of it!

I wouldn't recommend the queen-like scarf on the head alla D&G: you want to keep it modern, accessorize a skirt with a tonal shirt or blazer in patterns of different sizes, make it colourful with a pair of crazy tights or feminine and airy by going for a silk dress cinched at the waist. The good thing is that there are definitely some timeless pieces in there, you just have to make sure to pick the right one and dress it young.
Images from Style.com

No comments: